I am back now and have been coming up with and finding new ideas, so they are gonna start coming fast and loud. So let's get on with it shall we.
every few years the auto industry goes through a bit of a metamorphosis. Where allot of new cars debut with allot of new technology. Some times this tech and these cars blow everyone's mind and get people very excited for what is to come. Other times no one cares and things continue as normal.
The last time we had an amazing year that I can remember was 2005. That year brought the Bugatti Veyron 16.4, the current design generation of the Ford Mustang (which is in it's last year sadly), the Aston Martin DB9, the Ford GT and the Ferrari F430 just to name a few. before that I would say it would have had to be 2002 which saw the debut of Lamborghini Gallardo (which they should be replacing shortly), the Ferrari Enzo and a new generation of Dodge Viper.
Now however we experiencing one of the best years in automotive history to date. 2013 and for that matter 2014 in my opinion will change cars as we see them the forever. No longer will you have to put a big engine in you're car to make big power, The performance statistics we are used to are being shattered in spectacular fashion and hybrid technology will go from being a joke to save at the pumps to being a viable option to add useable power to performance cars in an economic way.
I cannot and will not try to name all of the cars that are debuting or going on sale in 2013 but I will discuss some of them that I find to be notable. Let's see, we have the Ferrari Laferrari, porsche 918 spider, BMW i8 and i3, volkswagon golf/GTI/GTD, BMW 4 series and M4 along with the new 3 series and of course the Mclaren P1.
![]() |
| http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/ferrari-laferrari-vs-mclaren-p1-vs-porsche-918-spyder-geneva-2013-03-06 |
![]() |
| http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/ferrari-laferrari-vs-mclaren-p1-vs-porsche-918-spyder-geneva-2013-03-06 |
It is driven by something called the f70 f150 HY-KERS System which produces 963 horsepower. This is basically saying that they took the V12 from the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta (730 horespower) tweaked it a bit to get 789 HP and put an electric motor system on the back of it which adds another 161 horsepower.
This seems to be the way allot of hyper cars are going now. They take a big engine and instead of dropping a big turbo on it they supplement an electric drive unit. I think this is a wonderful use of the technology available for two reason.
1, It increases the fuel economy of an other wise 3mpg car to slightly more reasonable numbers.
2, If you strap a big turbo on you're car it will probably blow up if the engine can't handle it, and NOS is illegal for street use. we have not seen the reliability of such electric/gas drivetrains yet but I have high hopes. Plus you can say you drive a hybrid without being laughed at.
![]() |
| http://www.worldcarfans.com/111012430516/porsche-918-production-car-will-be-a-spyder |
![]() |
| http://www.worldcarfans.com/111012430516/porsche-918-production-car-will-be-a-spyder |
So that is the three big hyper cars debut for the year, Now let's talk about some more affordable cars.
![]() |
| http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/16/bmw-m4-concept-monterey-2013/ |
Now that I got that of my chest let us get back to the matter at hand. That car is drop dead gorgeous. The specs are all speculation from sources I've read.
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/290449/m4_concept_is_the_new_bmw_m3.html
it looks like the car will cost a little more than the current m3, around 90 thousand (the current models base is a bit over 72 grand) the M4 will have roughly 430 hp from a turbo charged motor as oppose to the current model's 414 HP naturally aspirated unit. The M4 will hit 60 in around 4 seconds. All in all it is shaping up to carry the tradition of possibly the most well rounded car on the market today. I can't wait.....now if only someone would let me drive one and review it.
![]() |
| http://www.zemotoring.com/news/2011/07/bmw-i3-and-i8-details-specifications-video-gallery |
![]() |
| http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i3/2013/showroom/index.html |
![]() |
| http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-looks/2014-bmw-i8-coupe |
![]() |
| http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1211_2014_volkswagen_gtd/ |
The new GTI will be an amazing car. They have redesigned it slightly and it will now produce 220 horsepower or 230 if you opt for the performance package (which for once actually means something). The new Golf GTD is where it's at though. This car combines awesome fuel economy, the looks of the GTI and the torque of a diesel, and IT'S COMING TO CANADA PEOPLE!
It has Volkswagen's new EA288 diesel TDI motor which produces 184 horsepower. This is less than the the GTI's 220 yes but the GTD puts down 280 lbs ft of torque! This means it will be amazing at what hot hatches are supposed to do. That is accelerate and get out of corner's, Let's face it you don't really buy a hot hatch for the top speed. A hot hatch is used as a wicked fun daily driver that can dust lookey loo's at stop lights so 280 lbs ft of torque is a god send. The best part, while you're having you're cake you can eat it to. For the GTD to get 35 MPG with a heavy foot shouldn't be a stretch and it all will costs 27 thousand dollars (cheaper than the GTI by about 4 grand). I think this just may be the perfect car, now Volkswagen better damn well not change their mind because I for one would be in line to buy this beast.
So that's it folks a little bit of a preview of what's to come. I am excited for the future of automobile's and you should be to. With electric motor's being used as NOS to a sweet diesel hot hatch the only way this could get better is if I lived in Europe.









No comments:
Post a Comment