Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Pick-Up Truck Epidemic

I have been gone for awhile, and I apologize for this. I blame 10 hour workdays and Grand Theft Auto V. I am back though and over the last while (since I moved to the city) I have noticed something that bothers me to no end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27417638@N07/5731919064/
This: big ass trucks in the city. Frankly, if you live within city limits do not buy a truck that won't fit in a parking space. It's really pretty simple. If you need a truck that is 27 feet long you should not live within the city and be an asshole within parking lots and while on the road.

I would like to state that I do not hate trucks or people who drive them. I personally have many friends who own pickups and I like to drive them as much as the next kid from the country. That is just it though. Pickups belong in the country. I know that farmers will have to take the occasional trip into the city to get supply's or visit family but being a dickhead is not necessary.

The farmers who just come into the city occasionally don't bother me. What bothers me is the accountant's and factory supervisor's who buy the dodge 3500 diesel just because they want to feel big and powerful or feel they need the largest most powerful truck on the market to tow their rv to Wal-Mart. They than feel the need to take up nine of the nearest spaces so they can get in and out quickly. On the way to Wal-Mart they also of course need to get 280 dollars worth of fuel and while they are doing it they have to block access to the entire gas station because they can't pull up that extra 6 feet to let a car in behind or in front of them.

http://www.generationhighoutput.com/as-much-as-i-rail-on-about-mega-lifted-trucks/
Than there is these asshats (above). These vehicles have a place. That place is not downtown Toronto. On two lane roads. In rush hour. You would be amazed how often I see these things. Half the time the big stacks in the bed aren't connected to anything because the truck isn't even diesel and most of the time they have never seen a spec of dirt. I would like to state one more time, I am all for customization like this in the right place. It serves a purpose and it can be allot of fun. The right place however is not in the suburbs.

Than there is the guy who buys every possible stick on piece of chrome or gold from Canadian Tire or Wal-Mart and than thinks his truck looks "ballin"....
http://www.cargods.com/2011/08/02/too-much-or-not-enough/
I hope to hell every time I see this that the owner is trying to be ironic or funny in some way but usually he is not and he actually thinks it looks good. This specific trend is also not applied only to trucks, people with cars do it too. This is not something that annoys me about city trucks specifically, it's just something that annoys me in general. Whoever does this, it does not look good, PLEASE STOP! and go see a therapist about your in-superiority complex. In fact, the in-superiority complex thing kinda sums up all of the stupid trends I just mentioned. 

If you have a small.....you know....you don't need to buy the biggest most obnoxious vehicle on the planet to compensate, because when you do this, you are kind of screaming to the world that you are ashamed of you're ummm wedding tackle. 

Bottom line: If you live in the city you do not need a 30 foot long truck. Even if you are in construction you don't need a vehicle that big and if you do.....commute! You are making life significantly more difficult for the people who drive normal vehicles. That will most likely fall on deaf ears because the guy in the first pic I posted knows he is being a douche. And yet, he still did it.

This is a major problem for people like me who drive small hatchbacks and frankly it's a problem for the environment and people's sanity who live in the city. It won't change - in fact truck sales in urban area's are on the rise. This baffles me. I would not want to own a truck in the city. They drink to much gas and are difficult to drive in tight spaces. I don't know why people are buying them in urban area's but they are, so I think the least they could do is not be assholes.              

No comments:

Post a Comment