The most recent blunder comes in the form of the yet to be released MazdaSpeed 3. Now before I continue let me backtrack and discuss what that car is and why it is a such a great car (which I have seriously considered purchasing on numerous occasions).
![]() |
| http://autoshow.roadfly.com/2010-mazdaspeed3.html |
You must be wondering where this is going. Well according to AutoExpress the next generation Mazda Speed 3 will loose the fire breathing 263 hp turbo 2.3 litre and replace it with, wait for it, a 200 hp 2.0 litre.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/3/65032/new-mazda-3-mps-its-way#main-content-area
WHY! to put this in perspective the upcoming Golf Gti has 220 hp with a performance option upgrade this can be raised to 230, The Ford Focus ST has 252 hp and the Suburu WRX STI has 305. So Mazda has decided to drop the turbo and use the engine from the base Mazda 3. Of course this will mean better gas mileage and the car will be sharp and by cutting weight it will probably be an absolute blast to drive and with Mazda's new Kodo Design Language (which basically means the design of the car and the way the car drives mimic an animal in motion, it can be seen on the current Mazda CX-5 and Mazda6) it will look great.
![]() |
| http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/3/65032/new-mazda-3-mps-its-way#main-content-area |
Now aside from Mazda there have been some colossal screw ups over the ages that have caught my attention (This is not an exhaustive list by any means, if you are looking for a worst cars list move on but if you have read this far I hope you stay, and tell you're friends) some of these screw ups have been rectified, some however have not. First and foremost one of the biggest screw ups in automotive history has to be The Mustang 2.
![]() | |
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_%28second_generation%29 |
When talking about automotive screw ups one cannot forget the Dodge Charger. The new Charger I have actually grown somewhat fond of. I like the fact that it has an 8 speed automatic and a pretty good touch screen and that the SRT version is still pretty bad ass. The car however is a shadow of the legend it used to be, which is why I classify it as a failure (not to say I wouldn't own one). When this car debuted in 1966 as the outgoing model It was a pretty potent package with the legendary 426 Hemi
![]() |
| http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141599 |
Then in 2006 some genius at Dodge got the bright idea to take one of the most sought after badass names in automotive history and turn it into a sedan......with a V6!
![]() |
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Charger_%28LX%29 |
There are many other cars that could be on this list for example the 2004 Pontiac GTO (That car always should have been what the Pontiac G8 was) The upcoming Chevy SS (supposed to be the return of the G8 but is only offered in the top GXP G8 format and will cost roughly five grand less than a new Stingray). All of the models that used to be good and continued into the 80's. Oh and the "New Beetle" (there is so much that is wrong with that car, I'm not sure why they ever built it). I do not have the time to go into all of these vehicles in detail.
I don't know why when an automotive manufacturer has some thing good they have to mess it up. I suppose it's human nature. We always want to strive for improvement. It just brakes my heart when a good car goes bad.





No comments:
Post a Comment