![]() |
| http://elonmusk.com/ |
![]() | |
| http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/05/30/fox-reporter-conjures-mystery-numbers-for-new-t/194273 |
Top five luxury cars, first quarter 2013
- Tesla Model S, 4,750 US sales January-March (estimated)
- Mercedes-Benz S-Class, 3,077
- Lexus LS, 2,860
- BMW 7 Series, 2,338
- Audi A8, 1,462
That's an impressive feat for a company that produces only electric models. Now don't get me wrong I love this car and this company but this post is not about praising the electric vehicle NO! or writing a biography of Tesla Motors. I actually (as much as I want a Model S) hate the idea of electric cars taking over.
There is one MAJOR flaw with an electric car, you guessed it the battery. Yes they take along time to charge (I heard a rumor that Tesla has found a way to swap battery's in 90 secobds but don't quote me on that). Tesla has also created a way to half charge the car in half an hour without harming the battery. The charging time however is not the fundamental problem. It's something that not many people have not realized or at least written about, the problem is that unlike an internal combustion engine which can be fixed and can basically run forever if treated properly (there is a Volvo P1600 that is about to top 3 million clicks). Once a battery conks out completely it can't exactly be repaired.
http://autos.aol.com/article/three-million-mile-volvo-still-running-after-47-years/.
An electric car runs off of a battery (or many little wee battery's in the case of the Model S) which eventually will need to be replaced. Now this isn't like dropping into you're local auto shop and swapping out a timing belt, this is very expensive major surgery. A battery of this magnitude can run anywhere from 14 to 50 thousand dollars plus (approximately depending on the car) and I don't know I thought people bought electric cars to save money. If you buy an electric car what are the odds of you saving up the money to buy a new battery when the old one craps out, If that were the case what is the point of buying the car in the first place. Now to give Tesla credit they do offer a minimum 8 year battery warranty but what happens if the battery dies at say 9 years, you're screwed and I'm guessing you go buy a new car.
Which brings me to my second point. If the electric car takes over, the collector car market will cease to exist for the simple fact that when the battery dies it is unlikely anyone will pay to replace it, So the car is garbage. This in turn will cause a massive influx of scrap cars which we will need to find something to do with. There are two options I can see.
1. we find places to put them I.E. scrap yards (which I already mentioned we don't have space for when I said we don't have space for farms to grow bio-fuel)
2. We recycle and/or melt them down which will cause a large increase in pollution. Which just so happens to be exactly what we are trying to avoid in the first place.
To sum all that up, basically I don't see electric vehicles taking over completely from gas anytime soon for the simple fact that an electric vehicle cannot be sustained like an internal combustion engine, the most I can see the E car doing is slotting in where diesel is now, as a possible second option when looking at a new car.
This isn't to say there are no other options and we are all doomed, I read that Volkswagen is working on a fleet of Audi A3's that run on natural gas, which is plentiful.
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/life/Preview+Audi+tron+tron+powertrains/8487924/story.html
There is also a company creating bio-fuel from algae that is comparable to gasoline apparently.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-35040_162-57592375/powering-the-future-will-algae-fuel-your-next-car/
I stand by the fact that Tesla Motors is an amazing company and Elon Musk is an amazing man but I think that he may be going down a path that won't end well. I am stating right now that Electricity will NOT take over from gasoline unless they can find a way to make a battery that never needs to be replaced.
Although the Tesla Model S is still super badass!


No comments:
Post a Comment